A Selfie Stick can be a practical tool for Flooring Inspectors. You probably think we’re crazy… but selfie sticks are more useful than you’d think!
In case you don’t know; a selfie stick is used to take photographs or video by positioning a smartphone or camera, beyond the normal range of the arm. Selfie sticks come with different features and in different lengths. Small sticks can be as short as 5″ while telescoping wands can extend up to 111″ (maybe more).
For normal photography purposes, some selfie sticks include a tripod at the base; great for getting good clear pictures. Some Selfie Sticks include a stabilizer for steady videos while moving, wrist straps for use in precarious places, and most include a Bluetooth remote for handsfree pictures.
If you use an inspection mirror for hard to see areas, a Self Stick may be a better option because you can inspect and photograph at the same time.
Selfie Sticks are lightweight, retract, and often come with protective carrying cases that won’t add much weight to your tool bags.
Practical uses for floor inspections:
- Inspecting tile, grout, and soft joints in high (or low) areas; shower stalls, walls, etc
- When inspecting tile installed in swimming pools; they can save you from kneeling or leaning over and falling in
- Crawlspace inspections; safe and handy if you work in snake-infested areas or just can’t crawl into the crawlspace
- Inspecting subfloors and floor joists from unfinished basements
- Inspecting areas where there isn’t enough room to lean over, hold a camera, and take a picture without being a contortionist!